I decided I needed to start sewing.
I decided that I needed quality clothes that I actually liked, rather than could fit in and didn’t hate, and POCKETS. I carry a lot of Stuff ™ and I want pockets.
So I joined a sewing class (which I highly recommend), in the hope of doing both and the benefit of avoiding the horror of changing rooms while fat. The irony of the latter is that, when the pattern we would be working on was passed around, it only went up to a size 18. So lesson 1 – I can resize patterns and I only really want to buy patterns that cover my size. Lesson 2 – the sizing (18, 20, etc.) doesn’t actually match sizing in the real world and you need to compare the measurements of their sizing to your body. So according to that pattern I was a size mahoosive.
So far, so good. I selected fabric, finding a lovely warehouse near us and a beautiful soft faux linen of a deep red colour. It is a bit slinky and thus hard to pin down (pun intended), but I did love it.
The pattern was the Merchant and Mills camber set. It is not a top that is my preferred style but it is nice enough. Our fearless leader, who is very supportive and just hadn’t considered the impact of the pattern (maybe I shall write a post about weight and wanting clothes, and also being female and pockets).
So, weekly, I took my new sewing machine to the class, and the fabric, and all the things. Slowly we progressed but I haven’t taken photos because… well, it is week 10 now and I didn’t think of blogging it as a thing. So, the end product looks like this…
I’m mostly happy with it. I feel as though the neckline needs changes, and I prefer a fitted cut a little more. It will gain pockets this week!